Christmas, Holy Family. The recording is very poor so here is an abbreviated transcript of the homily.
A couple of weeks ago a woman in our parish brought me a box of homemade goodies: applesauce, pears, jams, salsa, even cookies. So I put the box in [...]
Christmas – Christ the Perfect Gift (8:10)
Christmas Day. The best gifts are the homemade ones; they are one-of-a-kind and they reveal a lot about the giver. Christ is just such a custom-made gift. He reveals that God is a God of Love who wants a relationship with us. Are we willing to make [...]
- Fr. Benjamin
Christmas has always been a time of great excitement for me. My parents made church services an important part of the Christmas season, and often my father would read the account of Christmas from the Gospel of Luke. When I was young, however, the excitement focused on the candy and cookies that [...]
Advent, 4th Sunday. The world has been growing darker, but meanwhile our Advent wreath is growing brighter. Hope is already in the world though we have not yet seen its effects. In the same way Mary is pregnant with hope, carrying Baby Jesus. Even though John and Elizabeth [...]
Even priestly ministry has been touched by swine flu. Our local Catholic hospital has put special requirements in place for anyone who is dealing with H1N1 patients. Specifically, you must wear an N95 “particulate mask” when dealing with such patients. This mask is designed to fit tightly around the face and filter any airborne viruses. As a [...]
At his weekly Angelus this weekend, Pope Benedict blessed the Baby Jesus for nativity scenes. His little address is very interesting. If what he says is true (I’ll let the reader judge that), it contains the key to true joy:
“It is a source of joy for me”, said the Holy Father, “to know that [...]
Advent, 3rd Sunday. Rejoice in the Lord always, the Lord is near! John the Baptist calls his listeners to their deepest desires – Peace, Joy, and Unconditional Love. These desires can only be filled by God. Advent is the season of realizing our need for God [...]
Advent, 2nd Sunday. The king is coming and he promises to bring Glory, Joy, Light, Justice and Peace, but only those whose hearts are open to receive him. What are the mountains of pride in your life that need to be leveled? What are the valleys [...]
- Fr. Benjamin
My little brother’s slippers had holes in them. He likes to take his shoes off at the door and wear moccasins all day long, and he had worn through his $17 slippers. “We could make you some moccasins,” I told him. He was excited at the idea of a project. Before going [...]
- Fr. Benjamin Sember on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Franklin on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jan & Nancy on FrBenjamin – Peter and Paul the sinners
- Rafael Medina on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jacob Rudd on The “three days of darkness” – what should Catholics think?
TagsAdvent Apocalypse Art Baptism Benedict XVI Celibacy Christmas Confession Death Discipleship Easter End of the World Eucharist Evangelization Faith Family Fatherhood Film Forgiveness Happiness Heaven History Holiness Holy Spirit Jesus John Paul II Lent Love Marriage Mother Mary Movie Reviews Pilgrimage Politics Pope Francis Prayer Priesthood Pro-Life Resurrection Spiritual life Stewardship Teaching the faith The Mass Travel Video Women
- July (10)
- Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Little Seeds Bear Great Fruit (#433, 16th Sunday)
- Murder is not Mercy
- FrBenjamin - The garden of the soul (15th Sunday)
- Planting Seeds of Love and Truth (#432, 15th Sunday)
- Why the Catholic Church is not accepting same-sex marriage
- Subscribe to Brother Priests (Apple or Android devices)
- FrBenjamin - Freedom inside the lines (14th Sun, Independence Day)
- 3 Tips to Lighten Your Load (#431, 14th Sunday)
- The Savior is IN (Homily for Corpus Christi)
- June (17)
- May (9)
- April (10)
- March (15)
- February (8)
- January (8)
- July (10)