Holy Thursday. We judge the value of an item by the price that was paid for it. You were bought at the price of a man’s blood — and not just any man, but God’s own Son. Peter felt he wasn’t worthy of this gift, and he was right. None of us are worthy of receiving the Eucharist. I’m not worthy to be a priest, and none of you are worthy of having a priest. But we must allow Jesus to set our price, our value.
Peter also realized the consequence of accepting Christ’s gift of himself. He knew that if Jesus washed his feet, he would have to wash the feet of his brothers. The condition of being an Apostle is returning the gift we have been given. We must love as we have been loved.
Peter and Judas both throw away this gift. But then Peter discovers the depth of Christ’s love. We are invited to humbly accept the offer of Christ’s love and to respond in kind. Can you love as Christ has loved you? Yes, you can, if you first humbly receive His gift. (21 Apr 2011)
- Fr. Benjamin Sember on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Franklin on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jan & Nancy on FrBenjamin – Peter and Paul the sinners
- Rafael Medina on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jacob Rudd on The “three days of darkness” – what should Catholics think?
TagsAdvent Apocalypse Art Baptism Benedict XVI Celibacy Christmas Confession Death Discipleship Easter End of the World Eucharist Evangelization Faith Family Fatherhood Film Forgiveness Happiness Heaven History Holiness Holy Spirit Jesus John Paul II Lent Love Marriage Mother Mary Movie Reviews Pilgrimage Politics Pope Francis Prayer Priesthood Pro-Life Resurrection Spiritual life Stewardship Teaching the faith The Mass Travel Video Women
- July (10)
- Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Little Seeds Bear Great Fruit (#433, 16th Sunday)
- Murder is not Mercy
- FrBenjamin - The garden of the soul (15th Sunday)
- Planting Seeds of Love and Truth (#432, 15th Sunday)
- Why the Catholic Church is not accepting same-sex marriage
- Subscribe to Brother Priests (Apple or Android devices)
- FrBenjamin - Freedom inside the lines (14th Sun, Independence Day)
- 3 Tips to Lighten Your Load (#431, 14th Sunday)
- The Savior is IN (Homily for Corpus Christi)
- June (17)
- May (9)
- April (10)
- March (15)
- February (8)
- January (8)
- July (10)