Easter, 3rd Sunday. Jesus walks with his disciples and opens the scriptures for Him. Then they recognize Him in the breaking of the bread. This is not just a great Resurrection story, but it is also a parable about life. Here are two ways to apply the parable:
The Mass. We bring our worries and concerns. The Scriptures open our hearts to Jesus’ presence. Then in the breaking of the bread, He himself becomes present.
Life Itself. We walk through life and Jesus walks with us, though we do not recognize Him. When we get to the House of the Father, and God sits us down to the great banquet, then we will realize that it is Jesus who has been walking with us all along.
On this Mother’s Day, we recall the role that Mary played for the disciples. Even when they could not see Jesus, somehow she always knew it was Him. How did they recognize Him? Maybe in the breaking of the bread, or maybe in seeing His wounds. Every mother knows the experience of being wounded by the ones she loves. You can’t see it now, but one day you will — in those moments of being wounded, Jesus was there. (8 May 2011)
- Jennifer Fulwiler (@conversiondiary) on Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Fr. Benjamin Sember on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Franklin on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jan & Nancy on FrBenjamin – Peter and Paul the sinners
- Rafael Medina on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
TagsAdvent Apocalypse Art Baptism Benedict XVI Celibacy Christmas Confession Death Discipleship Easter End of the World Eucharist Evangelization Faith Family Fatherhood Film Forgiveness Happiness Heaven History Holiness Holy Spirit Jesus John Paul II Lent Love Marriage Mother Mary Movie Reviews Pilgrimage Politics Pope Francis Prayer Priesthood Pro-Life Resurrection Spiritual life Stewardship Teaching the faith The Mass Travel Video Women
- July (10)
- Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Little Seeds Bear Great Fruit (#433, 16th Sunday)
- Murder is not Mercy
- FrBenjamin - The garden of the soul (15th Sunday)
- Planting Seeds of Love and Truth (#432, 15th Sunday)
- Why the Catholic Church is not accepting same-sex marriage
- Subscribe to Brother Priests (Apple or Android devices)
- FrBenjamin - Freedom inside the lines (14th Sun, Independence Day)
- 3 Tips to Lighten Your Load (#431, 14th Sunday)
- The Savior is IN (Homily for Corpus Christi)
- June (17)
- May (9)
- April (10)
- March (15)
- February (8)
- January (8)
- July (10)