This dramatic image of Mary is entitled Queen of Peace, in Latin Regina Pacis. It is in the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome, and it was placed there by Pope Benedict XV, when World War I was devastating Europe.

In the statue, Mary holds her hand out to ward off the evil of war while the child Jesus offers peace to the nations. The truth is that peace and Christ go hand-in-hand: we will not have peace unless we accept Him as Lord. +

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Mary of the Month (March 2012)

1. Dan says:

I saw this statue in St. Mary Major in Rome when I was in the U.S. Navy over 35 years ago. The image of Mary holding out her hand is so powerful. She seems to be trying to stop all the pain and sorrow that comes from the LACK of peace in our world and in our hearts.
    It’s one of my favorite images of the Mother of Christ.

2. anne says:

Yes, it is most beautiful, otherworldly-I stood taking many pictures- seems she is warning the Serpent of the coming “Triumph of Her Immaculate Heart” with that of Her Son. It had a profound effect om me when I first saw this gem of sacred art. Love you mamma!

3. Anthony says:

Of all pictures and statues of Our Blessed Mother Mary I have seen, the most beautiful and memorable is The Pieta in St.Peter’s Basilica in Rome.

4. paul rovali says:

Hi,
    I really enjoyed seeing this Madonna can you please tell me who the sculptor is as I am interested in seeing more of his work
    Paul

5. Veronica says:

Not often in statues is Mary really depicted as a teenager as she is here.When I saw this statue at St Mary Major I felt overcome that this young girl was willing to bring the Prince of Peace to birth.

6. Nancy Dumesnil says:

These are truly beautiful statues of Mary, but don’t forget Our Lady Queen of Peace in Medjugorje and Our Lady of La Salette in La Salette, France.

7. Nancy says:

This is such a moving image of the “Blessed Mother!” I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! All too often Mary is shown as so sad. This sculpture shows her power, the power that our Creator gave her, and that she rightfully deserves! Thank-you so much for this photo. I wish that I could visit it in person.

8. Sophia ling says:

Very fine work of art.

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.