Ordinary Time, 2nd Sunday. Not everything you hear is true. Every good religion is a search for truth. We are looking for answers to questions that are too big for science, like:
- What happens after you die?
- Does my life have a meaning and a purpose purpose?
- Who do we for babies and sunsets?
In today’s Gospel, John the Baptist is thrilled to discover that the truth isn’t just a list of facts, but a person: Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. He has seen God face to face, and can report that God is a great guy. Now he testifies to what he has seen. John the Baptist challenges us to See the truth and to Testify to the truth.
What do we do with neighbors who don’t know the truth: Moslems, Pastafarians, even Satanists? The Christians of Corinth give us an example. We shouldn’t tolerate other religions because tolerance doesn’t go far enough. We must love our neighbors enough to treat them with dignity and respect, and share the truth with love. The Corinthians shared first with their example, and then with their conversation. The Holy Spirit will help us become repeaters of the Truth, so that all people can come to meet Him face to face.
(19 Jan 2014)
Want to go deeper?
- Do you know a friend or co-worker of a different religion? Listen to what they believe, and compare it to your beliefs.
- Ask Jesus to let you be an instrument of His love to your neighbors.
- What does it mean to be a Christian? Practice explaining it in non-threatening ways.
- Jennifer Fulwiler (@conversiondiary) on Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Fr. Benjamin Sember on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Franklin on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
- Jan & Nancy on FrBenjamin – Peter and Paul the sinners
- Rafael Medina on What does the Catholic faith say about shootings? Subtitle: is Elliot Rodger in Hell?
TagsAdvent Apocalypse Art Baptism Benedict XVI Celibacy Christmas Confession Death Discipleship Easter End of the World Eucharist Evangelization Faith Family Fatherhood Film Forgiveness Happiness Heaven History Holiness Holy Spirit Jesus John Paul II Lent Love Marriage Mother Mary Movie Reviews Pilgrimage Politics Pope Francis Prayer Priesthood Pro-Life Resurrection Spiritual life Stewardship Teaching the faith The Mass Travel Video Women
- July (10)
- Book Review: Something Other Than God (updated)
- Little Seeds Bear Great Fruit (#433, 16th Sunday)
- Murder is not Mercy
- FrBenjamin - The garden of the soul (15th Sunday)
- Planting Seeds of Love and Truth (#432, 15th Sunday)
- Why the Catholic Church is not accepting same-sex marriage
- Subscribe to Brother Priests (Apple or Android devices)
- FrBenjamin - Freedom inside the lines (14th Sun, Independence Day)
- 3 Tips to Lighten Your Load (#431, 14th Sunday)
- The Savior is IN (Homily for Corpus Christi)
- June (17)
- May (9)
- April (10)
- March (15)
- February (8)
- January (8)
- July (10)